Mopar-Eh!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The new Canadian Peso

+4
Cookie-Monster
tractorfix
smoken340
anlauto
8 posters

Go down

The new Canadian Peso Empty The new Canadian Peso

Post by Cookie-Monster Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:43 pm

I just bought a 69 B-body glass kit and it has to come out of the states and with our pitiful dollar it cost me an extra $350+ with the exchange.
I hope everyone is enjoying our new Canadian Peso.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

The new Canadian Peso Empty Re: The new Canadian Peso

Post by anlauto Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:49 pm

AMD ? You should have priced it from National Moparts to see if they could give you a better price...just out of curiosity
anlauto
anlauto

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:18 pm

I was looking at a pair of bucket seats, with shipping it was going to set me back $775. by the time I checked on the exchange it was going to be $964. Now I figure our government would nail me in the area of $200 for customs. Needless to say, I had to pass on them.
So I can understand where your coming from with our CANADIAN PESO.

Cherish Yesterday. Dream for Tomorrow. Live for Today.......

MOPAR
Massively Over Powered And Respected
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by tractorfix Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:54 pm

I still buy most of my stock replacement parts from the US. Even with exchange and shipping its still cheaper for most stuff.

tractorfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie-Monster Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:57 pm

anlauto wrote:AMD ? You should have priced it from National Moparts to see if they could give you a better price...just out of curiosity

I bought through a vendor in the US and get a lower price than what is listed on AMD's website but still have to pay the exchange.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by anlauto Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:59 am

Cookie-Monster wrote:
anlauto wrote:AMD ? You should have priced it from National Moparts to see if they could give you a better price...just out of curiosity

I bought through a vendor in the US and get a lower price than what is listed on AMD's website but still have to pay the exchange.

I've been buying my AMD stuff here in Canada and getting it cheaper then AMD's price INCLUDING the exchange. Problem is, that was last October and our dollar has gotten worse since then. Also I'm picking it up not paying to ship it across Canada.
anlauto
anlauto

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Mopar Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:01 am

anlauto wrote:I've been buying my AMD stuff here in Canada and getting it cheaper then AMD's price INCLUDING the exchange. Problem is, that was last October and our dollar has gotten worse since then. Also I'm picking it up not paying to ship it across Canada.

Do you buy your stuff from National Moparts?

If it's cheaper I should consider them if they sell AMD stuff.
Keith Mopar
Keith Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie-Monster Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 am

anlauto wrote:
Cookie-Monster wrote:

I've been buying my AMD stuff here in Canada and getting it cheaper then AMD's price INCLUDING the exchange. Problem is, that was last October and our dollar has gotten worse since then. Also I'm picking it up not paying to ship it across Canada.

I have the parts shipped to the border as well and then go pick them up. I go through 521 restorations in Colorado for purchasing the parts buy they ship direct from AMD. If you have the parts shipped direct to you in Canada
you will take a real good spanking on brokerage fees. I had a small box worth $350 sent up to me and was supposed to come usps and ups banged on my door to the tune of $90. The day I decided to buy this car I should have grabbed my fishing pole 
and left the house for a week instead, second dumbest thing I ever did in my life.

Last edited by Cookie-Monster on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by anlauto Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:32 am

Keith Mopar wrote:
anlauto wrote:I've been buying my AMD stuff here in Canada and getting it cheaper then AMD's price INCLUDING the exchange. Problem is, that was last October and our dollar has gotten worse since then. Also I'm picking it up not paying to ship it across Canada.

Do you buy your stuff from National Moparts?

If it's cheaper I should consider them if they sell AMD stuff.

Yes Nigel gives me some pretty darn good prices on AMD stuff especially if he has it in stock
anlauto
anlauto

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Mopar Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:01 am

anlauto wrote:Yes Nigel gives me some pretty darn good prices on AMD stuff especially if he has it in stock

Thanks I'm going to check with them next time I need something as shipping and brokerage fees seem to kill the supposed good deal from the states.
Keith Mopar
Keith Mopar

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:26 pm

I have the parts shipped to the border as well and then go get pick them up .[/quote]

Do you have some sort of mail box. Can you have bigger things shipped and pick them up on the other side of the border ?

MOPAR
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie-Monster Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:35 pm

There are outfits just across the border that receive shipments for a small fee and then you just go there and pick up what ever you had shipped there. I did three cars this way and all the parts. They usually have forklift service as well so crate engines or machines is not a problem. I just had a new headliner shipped there a couple weeks ago and it sat there for a week and a bit, cost $2 for the storage. Some parts I have used Greyhound Express with real good success and no damage.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazoo Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:04 pm

There's a few AMD distributors here in Canada, Gary Hoffman (Hoffman's oil spraying) is also a distributor.

I'll be going to the swap meet in Indianapolis (Indy swap meet), the 2nd weekend in March,put on by Indy Cylinder Heads. I've been going for a few years now, but I tell you, I really don't feel good with the exchange rate now.
I had to get US currency today, as I'm going to Mexico on Monday. I was holding off as long as I could, in the hope our Canadian $ would kick up a couple %. Crying or Very sad

So...when I go to Indy, I'll throw all my spending on my US Visa, this way, I can pay it off when our $ value raises. (hopefully).
Gazoo
Gazoo

Back to top Go down

Post by 7n9 Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:28 am

It is just crazy how our Peso and Gas Prices have fluctuated lately. I didnt realize just how much of a dive it had taken lately!! In my opinion we need a dollar that sits at about 85 cents compared to the Yankme buck. Helps keep jobs going here.

7n9

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:28 pm

Most of you guys live like 2 hours from the border, right? So get your stuff delivered at some store at the border, pick it up there, spend the weekend shopping with your wife and you end up paying the price that was advertised, no duty or taxes as long as you did not overspend while shopping. Just let your wife shop and you just watch.
But the exchange rate really sucks!
JGL
JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by anlauto Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:21 am

Well that sounds like a great idea...What about the added cost of a hotel and meals not to mention the damage a wife could do in 48 hours of shopping...Things could add up fast...
anlauto
anlauto

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:38 am

Wifes are supposed to have their own money, if they work, so if they spend it that should be their problem not yours but if everything goes in one pot well, there is another problem. you probably get parts almost every few days, so this would be fairly hard for you to do.
JGL
JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by anlauto Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:07 pm

No problem here, my wife and I do put every penny into the same pot...It's worked for 15 years so far so no complaints.
My wife also make five times more money then I do yearly so no complaints there either....All is good.
anlauto
anlauto

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie-Monster Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:28 am

It doesn't matter whose money the wives spend, money spent is money spent when coming across the border. Anlauto, I checked out that Canadian outfit and priced the complete glass kit and it was more expensive even before the exchange rate was applied.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:35 am

anlauto wrote:No problem here,  my wife and I do put every penny into the same pot...It's worked for 15 years so far so no complaints.
My wife also make five times more money then I do yearly so no complaints there either....All is good.

Same here, all the money goes in one pot, been doing so for over 25 years. She has always made way more than I ever did. Now that I'm semi retired, she defiantly makes more than me.

MOPAR
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:55 pm

We must be one of the rare ones with separate accounts. My wife too made way more than me and spent more and still does. Maybe she did not want me to see how pitiful my salary was compared to hers. Ah well she worked for her father, then bought 1/2 his company with one of her sisters, then everything was sold and the rest is history. While working she was making at least 3-4 times what I made...
JGL
JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by anlauto Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Cookie-Monster wrote:It doesn't matter whose money the wives spend, money spent is money spent when coming across the border. Anlauto, I checked out that Canadian outfit and priced the complete glass kit and it was more expensive even before the exchange rate was applied.

Not sure what you mean ? If you checked out a CDN outfit then they should be giving you a price in CDN dollar...no exchange required ??
anlauto
anlauto

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:30 pm

They most likely buy their stuff from the states.
JGL
JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down