Mopar-Eh!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gasoline

+8
Woodie
71ScatPac
Grumpy427
crankycrow
Brads70
anlauto
Keith Mopar
JGL
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gasoline - Page 2 Empty Re: Gasoline

Post by Woodie Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:33 am

smoken340 wrote:Well Dave, if I have anything to do with it you will have your opportunity to see my car this coming summer and if your real lucky (lol) I may even let you turn a wrench or two on it Cool
You have a nice combo Dan'O. Maybe just a few tweaks here and there that don't cost a lot and make it better overall. Hard to beat even a tired 340, They still haul A$$

Woodie

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:38 pm

It seems to pull good now, can't wait to see how it will perform with a few touches.

Cherish Yesterday. Dream for Tomorrow. Live for Today.......

MOPAR
Massively Over Powered And Respected
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by Worker Bee Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:43 pm

smoken340 wrote:Hey Dave, my car runs ok on the 91 grade, but there is a huge noticeable difference on the 94 grade, not so much in pinging but in power, maybe it's my imagination, but I do feel a real difference . If I use the 91 will the octane boost help ?

I would suggest you find out what pistons were used when your motor was rebuilt. If they used the closest replacement, the trw L2316 piston, your border line for detonation with 91 octane. A lot also depends on the degrees your distributor is set at.
If you say that you notice a difference when you use 94 octane, I'm thinking that when you run 91 octane, you may have some light detonation that you can't hear, but is affecting performance.........my 2 cents
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by Worker Bee Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:07 pm

JGL wrote:I usually use either Shell 91 or Co-op. My engine only has about 350 HP and is mostly stock, I even tried mid-grade for a while and it ran ok with no pinging, then my engine builder told me to use only the best stuff available, so I listened.

Jean-Guy

In general, most gasoline(I'll use Esso for an example) is the same, like 87, 89, & 91. The difference is that the higher the rating, the more anti-knocking chemicals are added. Also, using too high of octane rating can also decrease power in a motor that doesn't need it.

There's some good info here...... http://mn.gov/commerce/weights-and-measures/images/OctaneFacts.pdf   study
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:52 pm

[quote="Worker BeeI would suggest you find out what pistons were used when your motor was rebuilt. If they used the closest replacement, the trw L2316 piston, your border line for detonation with 91 octane. A lot also depends on the degrees your distributor is set at.
If you say that you notice a difference when you use 94 octane, I'm thinking that when you run 91 octane, you may have some light detonation that you can't hear, but is affecting performance.........my 2 cents[/quote]

I guess short of taking the engine apart, there would be no way of telling what was used in the engine. I'm going to see if I can find the previous owner and find where he had the engine built. When I bought the car he told me that it was built by some guy in London, On. that specialized in High performance engines, But I don't remember who he said.

MOPAR
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:15 pm

smoken340 wrote:[quote="Worker BeeI would suggest you find out what pistons were used when your motor was rebuilt. If they used the closest replacement, the trw L2316 piston, your border line for detonation with 91 octane. A lot also depends on the degrees your distributor is set at.
If you say that you notice a difference when you use 94 octane, I'm thinking that when you run 91 octane, you may have some light detonation that you can't hear, but is affecting performance.........my 2 cents

smoken340 wrote:I guess short of taking the engine apart, there would be no way of telling what was used in the engine. I'm going to see if I can find the previous owner and find where he had the engine built. When I bought the car he told me that it was built by some guy in London, On. that specialized in High performance engines, But I don't remember who he said.

my guess is it's Atchinson...

http://www.atchisonmachine.com/

Woodie

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:23 pm

I'll find out in a few days.

MOPAR
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:33 pm

[quote="WoodieYou have a nice combo Dan'O. Maybe just a few tweaks here and there that don't cost a lot and make it better overall. Hard to beat even a tired 340, They still haul A$$[/quote]

Thought you would like to hear it. This was taken last summer, just after paint and before new strips.

Gasoline - Page 2 Th_Duster_zpss9biipws_1

MOPAR
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by 66 Dartman Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:35 pm

Hey Dan sounds good man!! Have ya put a light on it to see where your initial and your all in timing is at?
Ya might just need to back it down a couple degrees to run on 91, Don't forget to put a vac gauge on the intake
and adjust the carb if ya change your timing.
Ed.
66 Dartman
66 Dartman

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:37 pm

Sounds like a camed 340.
JGL
JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Sounds good. Hard to beat a nice Bump stick in a 340 Smile

Woodie

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:35 am

Thanks guys. When buying the car, I took my wife with me. I took cash, gave it to the wife and told her you hold on to it, then I won't over spend. (I had a price in mind before going to see it) Long story short we get there, she puts down her window so she can hear the negotiating, that way she can count out the money. I get out look the car over point out the bad to try and get a better deal. I then ask him to start it, I look over at the wife and she's holding all the money out of the window. After we got home with the car, I ask her why she did that. Her response was, I knew as soon as you heard it run, that the cost didn't matter anymore. lol, she thinks she knows me.

MOPAR
smoken340
smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by Woodie Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Woodie

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ/FormS Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:08 am

Guys, I'd like to tell you that you only need enough octane to suppress detonation under worst case situations, and any more will not increase performance at all, and just empty your wallet sooner. I'd also like to mention that in 100,000 miles it's possible to save enough hard earned cash to freshen the engine at least Twice.And the Tranny, and maybe a set of tires,too. And maybe some new suspension parts.....But I'm sure you know all that.
So I'll just mention; best of all, I screwed the tax man out of untold revenues.To drive 100,000 miles say at 14mpgCan, requires about 7100gallons, which is 32500liters. The price difference here in Mb is what? Say 10cents a liter, so thats a difference of $3250.
Let's see, what can I get for $3250? Hmmm. But I digress. OK, to spend $3250(the saved dollars), I would have to earn over $4300. So the tax man lost $1000 right there. Heehee.
Yeah I know, 100,000 miles is a lot of years driving for most.So let's put it another way. I saved enough money, to buy my wife a new living room suite, and me a big box of condoms. Nuff said! Heehee

AJ/FormS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum