Mopar-Eh!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manitoba,newbe

5 posters

Go down

Manitoba,newbe Empty Manitoba,newbe

Post by AJ/FormS Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:21 pm

A big hello to fellow Cunucks from AJ in Manitoba. I am recently semi-retired, and feel I have something to offer in terms of helps. I finished my car in the mid 2000s. So I got time.
I have spent most of my life as a mechanic. I've earned a living working on; automotive stuff, motorcycles, ATVs ,sleds,lawnNgarden, golfcarts,and a whole bunch of other stuff.
I spent about 5.5 years rebuilding gearboxes. This includes transmissions, diffs,PTOs,powershifts, etc. I started on the small stuff, worked my way through the intermediate stuff, Roadrangers and finally the good stuff.
I spent about 5.5 years as an alignment teck. Here I also did suspension,steering and brake work.
I spent about 20 years working on motorcycles(mostly metrics) and ATVs. I performed any and ALL kinds of works on these.
I spent about 5 years working in a rental business where I was required to repair nearly any kind of rental machine known to man.
I spent about 1.5 years in a sled shop, and you know how that work goes.
I spent about .5 year in an automotive engine shop.
I've also done roofing,framing,finishing, interior renos and near 10 years in cabinetry.
If you do the math it looks like I started working while yet wearing diapers! While it seems like it, the math adds up that way cuz some of the times I was working two and three jobs at once. I never made a lot of money, but I was very rarely out of work.
Yeah I'm old. Was 62 last June.
Yeah so, I'm here to help. I won't be doing any more projects of my own (other than finishing the renos to my house and garage), So I'll pop in from time to time and try to help, as I am able. I'm pretty easy-going, very hard to offend, and my wife of 39 years,says I have a terrible sense of humor. So, if my humor, or my character, in any way offends, don't be afraid to reprimand me. I'll try very hard to be nice.
I will tell you right off that I am a really big fan of Dcr; that's Dynamic Compression Ratio. I preach it where ever I go. I abandoned the old maxim that stated 10/1 or 10.5/1 was the maximum Static C/R for a street engine,to build to, cuz, while it mostly works, there's just too many combos that the maxim is not right for, whereas the Dcr when employed to advantage, makes a gangbusters engine. And it can be applied to any combo to optimize it.
So as time goes by I hope I can make many nrw friends here.
You can also find me on FABO.
TTYL

Last edited by AJ/FormS on Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

AJ/FormS

Back to top Go down

Manitoba,newbe Empty Re: Manitoba,newbe

Post by Cookie-Monster Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:04 pm

Welcome aboard and don't worry about your sense of humour with the east coasters, they're a different funny kind of breed anyway. It's just west coasters you need to worry about and as far as the middle goes, well I didn't know yous guys had a sense of humour. LOL. Nice thing about this hobby, there is always someone looking for advise or help.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by anlauto Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:21 pm

Welcome. Do you have a Mopar at all, or any projects in mind ?
anlauto
anlauto

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 70DartMike Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:37 am

Welcome! Let's see that Cuda of yours.
70DartMike
70DartMike

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ/FormS Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Yes I have owned Mopars for most of my life. As of some wks ago I had 4 running and driving Mopes on the yard. I recently sold my Dad's 84 5th Ave,which I inherited in 2010 when he passed away. A third one is an 84 D100 that needs a carb job. Then theres my winter beater; an 80 Plymouth Volare /6-A/T. And of course the S.
The S is a clone car. It started life as a 68 Barracuda slanty A/T.
Sadly, time has caught up to my S, and it's in need of body work.While I was building it I was never concerned with showing it, or documenting it, so no pics. I have a few photos taken with family members from time to time, and those pics are on hard paper. Nothing stored on transferable media.

AJ/FormS

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie-Monster Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:29 pm

Scan the pics and then you can load them.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ/FormS Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Yeah,no, maybe , one of these I'll get a scanner, Or a phone. Hey, but, it's in my sig on FABO, allbeit a bit small.

Last edited by AJ/FormS on Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

AJ/FormS

Back to top Go down

Post by Cookie-Monster Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 am

Do you have a phone with a camera?
take a pic of the pic and email it to yourself and then you can load it up here.
Just a thought.
Cookie-Monster
Cookie-Monster

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ/FormS Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:27 am

Yeah so if anyone's interested,I built my engine  in late 98,but,as it turns out,after the last cam-swap, it is very similar to the one Hughes Engines(http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/11360dynotestfeb2000.php) built and tested in year 2000, and they published the results in bulletin #11.Graph here; http://www.hughesengines.com/Upload/TechArticles/land_dyno.jpg
The biggest differences are that I have aluminum heads with 10.7 true Scr, the venerable AG intake/750DP, and a roadrace oilpan/tray.
One thing I can attest to, is that this is a dynomite street combo.Notice tho, that the power peaks at about 5800. Also notice what the curve looks like,there .After 5800,that combo continues to pull off the side of the graph, with very little drop.I can tell you, that in my engine, that curve continues easily another 1000 rpm.What that means is that the engine has a powerband of over 2000rpm, where it's making over 90% of it's peak. It's a flippin 'rocket up there. Notice also the torque curve. It too runs a 2000 band where it is posting 90% of peak.It's a flipin' tractor down there.
I can also tell you that at 900 ft altitude, mine burns 87E10, and nothing else.I run 32 to 34* at about 3200rpm for timing.
If anyone want's to build a clone of that engine, for a street machine, it's a very, very nice combo.
It pulls full vacuum around 1800, and I cruise it at about 2150.
Except for one thing. It has no discernible on-the-pipe feel to it. I have reved that thing to past 7200 on a regular basis, and just keeps pulling.It's kinda like a small-cam 440 with 273 gears. It's the Energizer bunny. It just keeps going, and going, and......
I don't think it would win any races with that cam, but it pulls my 3600# S to 93mph in the 1/8th, which is way cool for me.

AJ/FormS

Back to top Go down

Post by petnic01 Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:33 am

Welcome from Mantario
petnic01
petnic01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down