Mopar-Eh!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

seat belt troubles

2 posters

Go down

seat belt troubles Empty seat belt troubles

Post by reid Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 am

Happy, belated, New Year everyone. The seat belts in my 74 road runner don't work very well. The passenger side will only come out about 6" and stops. The drivers side will work if I bite my tongue just right and pull out with a smooth, non-stop action. If I stop before the full extension I have to start over. Wondering if these seat belts can be taken apart and fixed or are there new, colour coded (the car is dark green) belts available to buy in Canada?

Thanks in advance,

Reid
reid
reid

http://caspercrafts.ca

Back to top Go down

seat belt troubles Empty Re: seat belt troubles

Post by daytona71 Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:12 pm

Hi Reid
The retractor mechanism on these seatbelts can be taken apart and cleaned. Unbolt the assembly from the car, fasten the bracket in a vise if you have one in your shop. The rivets on the plastic cover need to be removed, and then the plastic can be slid out of the way. Looking at the bottom of the assembly, you should see a flat bar that goes across over the rolled up belt. Rocking that bar will release the belt lock and you should be able to pull the belt out to full extended position. I blew 40 plus years of dust out of my belt assembly when I cleaned mine. A little lubrication oil on the spindle seemed to do the trick . Hope this helps you some
daytona71
daytona71

Back to top Go down