Problem with the Dart

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Problem with the Dart

Post by Drache on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:38 am

So before I put my car away in the fall I had some engine trouble while racing. There was a ping sound and I was getting a ticking sound from my engine and it was running a little rougher.

I let it sit for two weeks and when I fired it back up, it was running fine although the slight ticking noise was there.

Parked it for the winter out at the ranch and I fired it up again just last week. Fired right up after months of sitting dormant.

The ticking noise was still there, coming from the passenger side of the engine. I also noticed that the passenger side exhaust was blowing a little bluer (couldn't see the driver's side exhaust) and that, while the driver side exhaust had the normal rumble, the passenger side seemed to be popping a little.

Engine is a Dodge 440 Magnum with less than 5000km on it.

Oil was down about 1 Litre when I took it out. Filled it up and the pressure was normal. Not sure where this oil went.

Problem is only on the passenger side.

No loss of power.

Engine runs fine and idles fine, except for the ticking sound

I haven't had the valve covers off yet. Was planning on driving it back into town and take it to my cousin's shop here in Williams Lake for him to work on while I'm gone working for the next month or two. Was just trying to get some ideas on what the problem might be.

Drache
Admin

http://www.mopar-eh.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Problem with the Dart

Post by Woodie on Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:36 pm

If it were me, I would pull all the sparkplugs and do a compression test. This, just to start. if you bent valve or pushrod you may still be able to salvage the camshaft. if you run it with a bum lifter... Bye bye camshaft. Don't worry about the oil consumption with the mileage on the engine, Its not broke in yet. My bet is you have a lifter that went south.

Woodie

Back to top Go down

Post by Coronet 500 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:03 am

How are you making out with your engine noise?

Coronet 500

Back to top Go down

Post by Drache on Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 am

Ok so my cousin (who is my mechanic) called a week ago and explained that I have oil coating my piston and my spark plug. That didn't sound good.

He called again today and explained that my pushrod went up through the rocker on #6 cylinder and so far that is the only problem he seems.

Drache
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Drache on Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 am

Does something look wrong here?

Car was running almost the same before and after this happened. No loss of oil pressure. All the other pushrods and rockers were inspected, all fine. The pushrod was still straight although a new one was ordered with the replacement rocker. Rest of the engine checked out as well. Should have the Dart back up and running barring any unforeseen circumstances by this weekend.

I will be upgrading to a different set up in the near future. Just trying to get the car going for this year's car show circuit.

Drache
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smoken340 on Tue May 05, 2015 12:30 pm

Must have been some serious metal fatigue right there. Good Luck, fingers crossed that you find nothing else wrong.

Cherish Yesterday. Dream for Tomorrow. Live for Today

MOPAR
Massivly Over Powerd And Respected

smoken340

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL on Tue May 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Now that is a new one. If luck is on your side, there might not be anything else wrong...or at least not very much.

JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by sthorvictor on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:33 pm

that's wild, rockers don't really look to have huge miles on them, have pulled them out where they seem to be a thin strip holding on for dear life

sthorvictor

Back to top Go down

Post by Drache on Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 pm

So the problems keep compounding with that bloody motor.

First, had oil spraying all over the engine. Turns out the timing cover gasket went. Got it replaced.

Then while the car was still at my cousin's shop, the starter went. Got that replaced.

Took the car to another city for a mini car show, started making a load ticking, the new starter went, and it was spraying oil out of the timing cover again.

Had the car towed home. Told my cousin to put a new starter, a new timing cover AND gasket (the timing cover is cheap chrome and I think it's warped thus not holding the gasket properly), and told my cousin to replace the old rockers with a set of roller rockers. Hoping that will fix all the problems and there is nothing new.

Drache
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL on Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 pm

It seems that when a project is done something pops up to ruin the fun.

JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by AJ/FormS on Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:37 pm

So, Drache, it's been a while. Have you resolved your problems yet?

AJ/FormS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top