Mopar-Eh!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..

+4
Gazoo
qwkslvr
Worker Bee
grassy
8 posters

Go down

8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..  Empty 8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..

Post by grassy Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Anyone have a 8 3/4 suregrip pumpkin in a low ratio...maybe a 2.76 or 2.94... in the maritimes or know of a place I can get one..

Did they come in any newer cars ?

Thanks
Ian
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..  Empty Re: 8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..

Post by Worker Bee Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:18 pm

Finding a 8 3/4 pumpkin with a 2.76 or 2.94 ratio with the Sure Grip would be incredibly rare. You're probably going to have to add a Sure Grip to a pumpkin with that ratio. Last year for the 8 3/4 is 1974.
Where are you located? Good luck with your search.
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..  Empty Re: 8 3/4 Suregrip pumpkin...low gear ratio..

Post by grassy Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:00 am

Worker Bee,

Appreciate the response.

I gather that they were once common..I live in Nova Scotia..the land where they crush any car that is over 7 years old...is the 3.23 the lowest "normal" sure grip available ?

Thanks, Ian.
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Worker Bee Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:07 pm

The 8 3/4 with 2.76 or 2.94 would have been mostly found in C-Bodies and 318 & 383 B-Bodies. I really can't see Chrysler putting a Sure Grip on those cars, unless a customer ordered a new car. Probably if it was ordered with the Trailer-Hitch Package, as Sure Grip was a recommended option. Heck, you were lucky to find power steering, automatic transmission and a AM radio on a car. Laughing

If it were me, I'd find a pumpkin with the gear you want and by a new aftermarket limited slip unit and install it or have a shop do it or you may be searching for a while.

Angelino
Worker Bee
Worker Bee

Back to top Go down

Post by grassy Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:24 am

Thanks...that is a great idea.  I shall shift my focus.

ian
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

Post by qwkslvr Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi Ian. About five years ago I bought a pumpkin with 2.76 and sure grip in it. I don't know if it was a factory set up or one that was put together. I only wanted it for the sure grip to put in my pumpkin with 3.23s. There are a couple of guys in my area that might have something, let me know if you want me to check. Bobby
qwkslvr
qwkslvr

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote Jack Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:37 am

If you can find the rest of it Ian, I think I have a set of 2.94's here you can have for free. Just let me know.

Jack
Coyote Jack
Coyote Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by grassy Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:37 am

Guys, thanks !!!!!

This is on our wish list but as with our build, it has to be affordable.

I need to get the gas mileage up and when he tramps it, one wheel spinning doesn't do him much good Smile

Lower than 3.23 is good.

Jack, what do I need to make this complete ?

Bobby, thank you...if I cannot find the parts from Jack's offer, I would appreciate you putting out the word.

I just went out and used the snow blow with the accumulation we had this am...is the snow ever going to go away ?

Ian.
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote Jack Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:57 pm

I only have the gear set I think. I'm not sure if the bearing is on the pinion or not. I will have to look. I believe this came out of a 741 pumpkin. Give me a day or two.

Jack
Coyote Jack
Coyote Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by grassy Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:01 pm

Take your time...the snow is still deep in front of the garage ! Smile
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote Jack Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:09 am

That's for sure grassy, but I am going to try working on the Demon this weekend. That means I am headed for the garage.

Jack
Coyote Jack
Coyote Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazoo Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:46 pm

How much of a rush are you in?
I have a "489" case, 3:23, it's a cone type Sure Grip.
I would change the gears on it, they are 95% really good, but it sat for a few years, without being turned, so there's one tooth in the pinion and two teeth in the ring gear that are slightly pitted.

I'm willing to drive it to New Brunswick for free, has to be on a long weekend or close to the New Brunswick Nats.

Here's the catch, I have a 354ci Hemi in a '56 5 ton Dodge truck in New Brunswick, and I need a hand pulling the engine, once I'm there, as I don't want to bring the truck back to Ontario.

By the way, the 5 ton truck will also be given away, it's quite solid, has a wrinkled fender, would make a nice flatbed hauler with a Cummins diesel.

I just want the Hemi real bad, for my '38 Dodge pickup, and the owner of the truck will not let me just pull the engine and leave, the truck has to go.

Is this something you can work with?
Maybe get Jack and J-G involved, make a weekend get together out of it.

All the best!
Giles
Gazoo
Gazoo

Back to top Go down

Post by philcollins Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Gazoo wrote:How much of a rush are you in?
I have a "489" case, 3:23, it's a cone type Sure Grip.
I would change the gears on it, they are 95% really good, but it sat for a few years, without being turned, so there's one tooth in the pinion and two teeth in the ring gear that are slightly pitted.

I'm willing to drive it to New Brunswick for free, has to be on a long weekend or close to the New Brunswick Nats.

Here's the catch, I have a 354ci Hemi in a '56 5 ton Dodge truck in New Brunswick, and I need a hand pulling the engine, once I'm there, as I don't want to bring the truck back to Ontario.

By the way, the 5 ton truck will also be given away, it's quite solid, has a wrinkled fender, would make a nice flatbed hauler with a Cummins diesel.

I just want the Hemi real bad, for my '38 Dodge pickup, and the owner of the truck will not let me just pull the engine and leave, the truck has to go.

Is this something you can work with?
Maybe get Jack and J-G involved, make a weekend get together out of it.

All the best!
Giles  

Where is that HEMI in NB? icould help you if needed
philcollins
philcollins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazoo Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Phil, it's 4 1/2 hrs south/west of you, right on the border of Maine. Fredericton would be the nearest large city.
I'd have to get the 5 ton truck towed off the property also, so if I have no takers for the body...I'd have to find an auto wrecker/recyclers near-by, to make it worth my drive and not cost me a fortune.
Gazoo
Gazoo

Back to top Go down

Post by philcollins Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:31 am

Ok, will be happy to help.
philcollins
philcollins

Back to top Go down

Post by grassy Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Giles,

Too far for me...Fredericton is 5 hour hard haul for me and with a pick up..yikes..

If you were closer, I would come up with my son ...

Sorry Sad
Ian
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote Jack Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Gazoo wrote:Phil, it's 4 1/2 hrs south/west of you, right on the border of Maine. Fredericton would be the nearest large city.
I'd have to get the 5 ton truck towed off the property also, so if I have no takers for the body...I'd have to find an auto wrecker/recyclers near-by, to make it worth my drive and not cost me a fortune.

What town or village is it in Giles. Sounds like it may not be to far away from me and I would be glad to help you. If Ian can't make it, it's not a big deal, I can get the pumpkin to him somehow.

Jack
Coyote Jack
Coyote Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Gazoo Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 am

Sorry for the delay Jack. I've been working a ton of extra hours and shift work.
I had a hard time finding the contact info also, as I was there last may 24 to have a look at it, and haven't talked to him since.
I'll need to call him, and find out if it's still available, but I would like to have some kind of plan, before I head out for the 14 hour drive.
I'll send you a PM with the info.
The old fellow had a ton of Mopar stuff, he was trying to sell.

Ian: If I go that way, I have to stop in a visit some friends in Nova Scotia ( Bridgetown ).
And I would also like to catch the Nationals on my way back to Ontario.
Still a lot of planning to do.

Giles
Gazoo
Gazoo

Back to top Go down

Post by JGL Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:02 am

Bonjours Giles, if you come down for the nats, after we could all get together to give you a hand. Could you find out what town he is in so we have an idea where to head.
JGL
JGL

Back to top Go down

Post by grassy Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:03 am

Gazoo wrote:Sorry for the delay Jack. I've been working a ton of extra hours and shift work.
I had a hard time finding the contact info also, as I was there last may 24 to have a look at it, and haven't talked to him since.
I'll need to call him, and find out if it's still available, but I would like to have some kind of plan, before I head out for the 14 hour drive.
I'll send you a PM with the info.
The old fellow had a ton of Mopar stuff, he was trying to sell.

Ian: If I go that way, I have to stop in a visit some friends in Nova Scotia ( Bridgetown ).
     And I would also like to catch the Nationals on my way back to Ontario.
     Still a lot of planning to do.

Giles

Giles,

My life at the moment is in a state of flux...however, if you are heading to bridgetown, you have to drive by my place.... You friend, does he have an auto yard ? I sold a engine stand to a fellow and his son..he has a large stable of cars..

Ian.
grassy
grassy

Back to top Go down

Post by 70dartswinger Mon May 04, 2015 7:06 am

I have a 2.76 or it may be 294 with a sure grip I will have to take a look and make sure what gear set has the sure grip in it .
70dartswinger
70dartswinger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down