Swapping the forum

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swapping the forum

Post by Drache on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:20 am

Ok this is going to be a tough decision. There has been a lot of chatter about wanting a forum that can host and post pictures locally (instead of off forum hosting). The only forum that really allows that is vBulletin.

That being said, if we swap the forum we will lose all the members that have registered and lose everything we have posted. We would all have to start from scratch.

There has been expressed interest in donations by members for funds to buy the licence. It's $250 US. Works out to about $320 CDN (stupid Canadian Peso....)

I'm waiting back from our hosting company to make sure the server we rent is up to the requirements for vBulletin.

If you're interested in Donating please post here. I don't want to accept any donations unless we can raise the full amount. So we would need about 30 people interested in donating $10 a piece.

Drache
Admin

Posts : 389
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 33
Location : Williams Lake, BC

http://www.mopar-eh.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by anlauto on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:26 am

I'm kind of computer illiterate and don't know all the ins and outs....
What I don't understand is why some people can post pictures and some can't? Once I followed the directions I had no issues?

I think it's a terrible idea to start all over again.

anlauto

Posts : 532
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 51
Location : Georgetown ON

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by gdrill on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:29 am

I'm in, and re-registering would be an acceptable task in order to make it easier to use.....probably more similar to what most members are familiar with. I only hope that all the other members would take the time to re-register as well......over 100 now.

Edit: If it stays the same I'm fine with that too, just a little trickier to post pics.

gdrill

Posts : 60
Join date : 2015-01-21
Age : 51
Location : Southern Alberta and beyond!

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by anlauto on Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:43 am

Oh yea...if you have to switch, I'd be in...but as a new site you will loose most of your members and more importantly creditability. "If the first web site didn't last two weeks...I'm not going to bother joining again" ...will be the thoughts of many

anlauto

Posts : 532
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 51
Location : Georgetown ON

http://www.alangallantautomotiverestoration.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by Drache on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:40 am

anlauto wrote:Oh yea...if you have to switch, I'd be in...but as a new site you will loose most of your members and more importantly creditability. "If the first web site didn't last two weeks...I'm not going to bother joining again" ...will be the thoughts of many

Except making a vBulletin forum would be an upgrade.

The advantages would be:
Built in hosting/attaching of images (no offsite hosting)
Greater control over the look and feel
Actual properly working reputation system (feedback for classifieds)
Familiarity of use for many members

Downsides are:
Everyone would have to reregister
Loss of everything posted so far

Drache
Admin

Posts : 389
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 33
Location : Williams Lake, BC

http://www.mopar-eh.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by JGL on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:55 am

If this goes thru your best bet would be to send an email to everybody explaining what is going on.

JGL

Posts : 2735
Join date : 2015-01-21
Age : 63
Location : Dieppe NB

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by Drache on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:03 am

JGL wrote:If this  goes thru your best bet would be to send an email to everybody explaining what is going on.

Of course, I would never leave people hanging and wondering what was going on Smile

Drache
Admin

Posts : 389
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 33
Location : Williams Lake, BC

http://www.mopar-eh.ca

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by JGL on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:05 am

Right on

JGL

Posts : 2735
Join date : 2015-01-21
Age : 63
Location : Dieppe NB

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by smoken340 on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:50 am

As I've said in other posts, I'm as dumb as a bag of rocks when it comes to computers. With that said, I did finally figure out how to post pictures, and it really wasn't that difficult. Other than being able to post pictures easier, there doesn't seem to be a lot of benefits to changing over to vBullitin . However if this is the route you choose then I'm in. Hopefully we don't lose any members.

_________________
Dan
aka. smoken340
"Minutes are worth more than money. Spend them wisely"
Cherish Yesterday. Dream for Tomorrow. Live for Today
     

MOPAR
Massivly Over Powerd And Respected

smoken340

Posts : 2088
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 62
Location : Toronto

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by Keith Mopar on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:13 pm

I'd be in either way. I've gotten use to this now so changing isn't a big deal. Maybe later on there might be software to upgrade and carry the existing info over, but I am far from an expert and could not do what you have done so far Kyle, and a great job you have done.
I would be in for 10.00 donation as well.

_________________
65 Cuda, 71 Demon, 74 Duster, 89 S60 Shadow, 96 LHS, 12 Ram, 13 SRT8

Keith Mopar

Posts : 752
Join date : 2015-01-20
Age : 57
Location : Calgary AB

Back to top Go down

Sparklit

Post by Gazoo on Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:23 pm

Drache wrote:Ok this is going to be a tough decision. There has been a lot of chatter about wanting a forum that can host and post pictures locally (instead of off forum hosting). The only forum that really allows that is vBulletin.

That being said, if we swap the forum we will lose all the members that have registered and lose everything we have posted. We  would all have to start from scratch.

There has been expressed interest in donations by members for funds to buy the licence. It's $250 US. Works out to about $320 CDN (stupid Canadian Peso....)

I'm waiting back from our hosting company to make sure the server we rent is up to the requirements for vBulletin.

If you're interested in Donating please post here. I don't want to accept any donations unless we can raise the full amount. So we would need about 30 people interested in donating $10 a piece.

Give Sparklit a try, "Active Board", they're the one I used for our club's forum, it's free, blog friendly, an image posting, etc...
Worth a look, http://oldchryslercorporation.activeboard.com/. Link for the host are at the bottom of the page.

Giles

Gazoo

Posts : 124
Join date : 2015-01-23
Location : Ontario

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by petnic01 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:29 am

I'm in for a donation

petnic01

Posts : 246
Join date : 2015-01-21
Age : 58
Location : Thunder Bay, Ontario

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by 7n9 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:01 am

Im one of the newbies here, BUT has there been any discussion to VIP memberships?? And what that would include(if any)??
As I said, Im one of the newbies and if you make a change(for the better) it should be done early in the growing stages.
Kyle Im not trying to be a wiseass here, but you as site owner. Why dont you pay for it up front, and then offer up VIP memberships to whomever wants one?? I noticed the other forum I belong to that they upped the price of their VIP WITHOUT notification.....

7n9

Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Swapping the forum

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:02 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum